Monday 31 January 2011

Sonja Kristina - Cri De Coeur


Curved vocal

I've got myself trapped in this vocal focus, not that I'm desperate to escape, especially if it allows me a quick opportunity to write about Sonja Kristina and in doing so present her iconic 'feathers' photo.

Stunning singer with the great Curved Air, Sonja has over the years performed solo and recorded occasionally along this and more experimental lines. I got an amazon download of this album last night on the back of some idle research into Curved Air who I will want to write about at a latter stage. I was lucky enough to see them at a 'reformed' gig in South Devon at the Malborough Village Hall in 2008 where Sonia proved she retains one of the most distinctive female rock vocals of all time.

This album sparked my current interest because it too has a clutch of standards, for example 'Every Time We Say Goodbye' and 'Cry Me a River', and suffice to say she makes them her own and her own will always be good enough for me. Being absolutely honest, 'good enough' sums it up and I look forward to exploring more recent recordings, but the other honesty will be acknowledging how it is her Curved Air days that will always leave the most astonishing aural stamp on my reverential memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment