Friday 7 January 2011

Second day


Pavlov's Dog - Live and Unleashed

Been listening to this in the car today - new release but of a 2009 concert. Didn't know of them in the 70s though came across their music over the last few years and it's OK rock. I do like rock violin but this doesn't feature Siegreid Carver who died 6 months before this show aged 60. David Surkamp's vocals are certainly intact and played loud it's fine stuff though I won't be listening again just because there's so much more to listen to.

Loads of these bands still do the tours. There's obviously the Stones [!] but I think it's cool how rock never dies, so to speak, though its performers do and it is becoming that time where more and more of those I grew up with will be passing on. Some will cringe perhaps at these reappearances - and in many cases it's tapping in to the middle class/middle income bracket to earn loads and loads of money from exorbitant concert ticket prices - but I wonder if 'my generation' will have the benefit of retaining its rock sensibilities rather than fading away. It's more complex than that but I can't define it better than this at the moment. I'm sure I'll return to this in a hopefully more articulate moment.

I've always loved 'rock' violin. Curved Air is my favourite, then Flock, and then perhaps It's a Beautiful Day. Then there's Don 'Sugarcane' Harris.

The best I've seen live is Darryl Way, obviously, then Stephan Grapelli who I saw in Cambridge, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment