Wednesday 12 January 2011

Harvest revisited - Mojo compilation


Young again

These are empathetic interpretations, not straying far at all from the originals [apart from Neville Skelly's 'There's A World'], and are musical homages that remind us how brilliant Neil Young's writing was, not that those of us brought up on his music require any confirmation.

February's Mojo Magazine is packed with Neil Young articles and I've not yet read them all. There is one of those wonderfully contentious '50 Greatest Tracks' spread across 12 pages, culminating in number one being chosen as.............well, I won't say just in case you're reading this and want to read that. It isn't 'Cinnamon Girl' which would be my choice and which I first heard in a friend's flat in Putney, London when Young's album 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere' was released, one of the greatest albums recorded, by anyone. 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' would be right up there for me because I can be sentimental and it's beautiful and painfully true, but also 'Cortez the Killer' because Young's killer guitar work needs to be prioritised as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment