Wednesday 7 September 2011

Richie Kotzen - I'm Coming Out

Richie's Solo Out and About

Kotzen is new to me - don't think I've ever heard Poison or Mr Big [though probably have in the background on Planet Rock], two bands he has fronted as guitarist so any officiandos out there of this guy's work: give me a break [there's some musicsites' chatter that Richie didn't know, apparently, about or sanction this release so fans might have issues].

And I thought this was a new release but it is a compilation of 16 tracks from solo work he only released in Japan - as far as I can work out searching for information online.

But importantly: it's good stuff. Straight-up melodic guitar rock with a suitable spread of ballads. Richie has fine guitar and vocal chops, and early tracks Moonshine and No Reason ably and respectively display this with the former having some stonking guitar solos and the latter ballad foregrounding the vocal that has a strong hint of Terence Trent D'Arby. It's easy listening with a respectable edge in the playing, singing and songwriting. I'm certainly enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment