Thursday 15 December 2011

12 Days Before Christmas Poems

Christmas Ode II
(after Poe)

Once upon a midnight dreary, as I wadded through words, weak and weary,
Over many a dull and spurious volume of philistine's lore -
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly in my head came a tapping,
As of some imposed curriculum rapping its song at my metaphoric door.
"Tis some friggin' new initiative," I swore, "tapping at my battered door -
                                           Labelled More and More and More."

Ah distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;
And each past initiative's ember wrought its ghost upon the mind's floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow of '96 would bring a power that would not borrow
Others' ideas to inflict an increase on my sorrow - sorrow for not being as before,
For the rare and radiant teaching with the swish of an angel's wings before
                                           Becoming shameless automatons evermore.

- 1995 -

1 comment: