Thursday 8 March 2012

Peter Kaukonen - Black Kangaroo [1972]

Grunt

Younger brother of Jorma from Jefferson Airplane, Peter Kaukonen is also a guitarist and multi-instrumentalist. He has been a songwriter and performer for the last 40 years, not that I can claim to have followed his career.

I was surprised and pleased to come across this vinyl copy yesterday having never seen it in my searchings for records. I've heard it once before so don't know it well, but it is a solid power-guitar rock offereing of its time. Influenced by Hendrix and showing at times, it also reminds me of Leigh Stephens, from Blue Cheer, and his solo album Red Weather, though I think this is better. It's more about ambient guitar rock than memorable tunes, though there is a sweet acoustic with strings number to close the album titled That's A Good Question.

I suppose this doesn't appear to amount to much as a posting, but I enjoy acquiring a record when it hasn't been something I've seen available anywhere before. On the Grunt label which is new to me. Good price and plays clearly too. Result.

No comments:

Post a Comment