Tuesday 11 December 2012

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill

 Because It Is Neil Young

Because it is Neil Young, because it is Neil Young with Crazy Horse, because the guitar solos are lengthy and sublime, and because the lyrics are totally devoid of pretense in content or design. Take for example the utter simplicity of these,

I was born in Ontario
Where the black fly bites
And the green grass grows
That’s where I learned most of what I know
Cause you don’t learn much
When you start to get old
I left home at a tender young age
Cause mom and dad never liked to stay
In any one place for very long
We just kept moving, moving on

I was born in Ontario
I was born in Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, Ontario

There's a similar simplicity but beauty in the lyrics too For The Love of Man.

It is for these narratives, Young's poetic diatribe against digitalised music, and those transcendent guitar solos that I highlight this album. You can read previously for other observations. And I think this is how I try to assuage guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment