Thursday 4 December 2014

Some Awe's Best of 2014 - Preliminaries


Here's my annual, full 'Best of...' with a another list later to be culled to a top 10 or 20. I have been honest with myself in selecting these: all are albums I have genuinely enjoyed listening to, and/or they are significant in being by artists I admire. Quite a number have been reviewed in this blog. There are many more albums I'm sure are 'best of... too' and perhaps even 'better', but in going through an exhaustive recall of 2014 releases, I realise just how many I haven't listened to fully and thus I cannot in all honesty celebrate, even when suspecting I should:

AC/DC - Rock or Bust
Adam Cohen - We Go Home
Albert Lee & Hogan's Heroes - Frettening Behaviour
Anais Mitchell – Xoa
Aphex Twin – Syro
Billy Childs - Map to the Treasure Reimagining Laura Nyro
Billy Joe Shaver- Long In The Tooth
Black Label Society - Catacombs of the Black Vatican
Blcak Stone Cherry - Magic Mountain
Blues Pills - Blues Pills
Carlene Carter - Carter Girl
Centro-matic - Take Pride in Your Long Odds
Chris Smither - Still On the Levee
Cold Specks - Neuroplasticity
Colosseum - Time On Our Side
Current 93 - I Am the Last of All the Field That Fell A Channel
David Crosby – Croz
Devon Allman - Ragged & Dirty
Dolly Parton - Blue Smoke
Don Williams - Reflections
Eric Bibb - Blues People
Gong - I See You
Hal Ketchum - I'm The Troubadour
Hurray for the Riff Raff - Small Town Heroes
Jack White - Lazaretto
Jackson Browne - Standing in the Breach
Jeff Bridges And The Abiders – Live
Jim Lauderdale - I'm A Song
Joan As Police Woman - The Classic
Joanne Shaw Taylor - The Dirty Truth
Joe Bonamassa - Different Shades Of Blue
John Fullbright – Songs
Johnny Winter - Step Back
Jungle – Jungle
Kate Rusby - Ghost
King Creosote - From Scotland With Love
London Grammar - Hey Now
Lost on the River - The New Basement Tapes
Lydia Loveless - Somewhere Else
Malcolm Holcombe - Pitiful Blues
Marianne Faithfull - Give My Love To London
Martha Tilston - The Sea
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Songs from the Movie
Neil Young - A Letter Home [acoustic set]
Nils Petter Molvær – Swicht
Old Crow Medicine Show – Remedy
Paolo Nutini - Caustic Love
Paul Rodgers - The Royal Sessions
Pete Molinari – Theosophy
Peter Frampton - Hummingbird In A Box
Peter Hammill - ...all that might have been...
Prince - Art Official Age
Purson - In The Meantime
Railroad Earth - The Last of the Outlaws
Randy Travis - Influence Vol. 2 The Man I Am
Richard Thompson - Acoustic Classics
Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie
Robert Plant - Lullaby And... The Ceaseless Roar
Roisin Murphy - Mi Senti
Rosanne Cash - The River & The Thread
Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams
Sam Amidon - Lily-O
Savage Rose – Roots of the Wastelands
Sinead O'Connor - I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss
Smashing Pumpkins - Monuments To An Elegy
Smokey Robinson - Smokey & Friends
Soil & Pimp Sessions - Brothers & Sisters
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Suzy Boguss – Lucky
Syd Arthur - Sound Mirror
Texas Hippie Coalition - Ride On
The Cloud Cuckoo Collective - From Omaha to Ottery
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - Zim Zam Zim
The Delines – Colfax
The Doobie Brothers – Southbound
The Ghost Of A Saber Tooth Tiger - Midnight Sun
The Rails - Fair Warning
The Robert Cray Band - In My Soul
The Who - Quadrophenia - Live in London
Thompson – Family
Ty Curtis - Water Under The Bridge
Walter Trout - The Blues Came Callin'
Willie Nelson - Band of Brothers
Wishbone Ash - Blue Horizon
Yes - Heaven & Earth
Yusuf - Tell ‘em I’m Gone

1 comment:

  1. (Predictably) "WHAT....NO ROYAL BLOOD.....TV ON THE RADIO" etc.
    Great list - will hit my paypal hard this winter!
    BTW - Handsome guitar you're playing there Mike......

    ReplyDelete